Sunday, January 25, 2015

Thank you!!

My blog on our experience with the injury of our son, Zeph, hit two thousand views today.  I have to be honest, I really never thought it would get that far, and I have no idea what to do next.  For months, I’ve made vague plans on how to raise awareness, only to have my heart broken when I realized that thousands of others like me have already tried, only to not be heard.  There are so many websites and Facebook groups dedicated to attempting to show the corruption behind abuse accusations by hospitals and CPS, so many people who are trying to force doctors and social workers to be held to a standard, only to be told that they can’t discourage a doctor from making abuse accusations, because then abused children would go unhelped.  They argue it’s better to let an occasional family be ripped apart.
   I want everyone to know that in my research, I came across quite a few pictures of legitimate abuse.  It’s devastating to just look at.  The idea that someone could even do that to their child is monstrous.  I’ve seen pictures of children with mutilated genitals, bruises from head to toe, and eyes swollen shut with blood leaking out from under the lids.  I can’t imagine what seeing that in person would do to someone.  Can you imagine working in a field where you see parents come in saying little Timmy fell out of his high chair, only to find cigarette burns, broken bones that had healed, and bruises the shape of hands all over his little body?  I couldn’t see that everyday.  Heck, I wish I could unsee those pictures.
Yes, my husband looks so vicious, wearing his Pluto
T-shirt and pushing our two adorable babies in a cart.
   That said, there is so much damage and hurt done when a child is taken away from good, loving parents.  Hospitals and CPS say that if they make rules to help keep innocent families from getting injured, then abused children will start falling through the cracks.  That’s just simply not true.  Did you know that most of the time, when an accused parent requests their child be tested for an illness or disorder that can mimic child abuse, that the hospitals and CPS will refuse?  There is a family in Oklahoma right now who are in the process of having their parental rights terminated.  They have three children, and the youngest, a baby, suffered several fractures.  OI, also known as brittle bone disease, runs in the father’s family.  They have begged CPS to test for OI, but they refuse, saying that the test is “invasive,” and not in the child’s best interest.
   So… we’re not going to do a genetic test because it’s stressful, but we’re going to relocate all your children.  Because that’s not stressful or invasive at all.  For a government institution or hospital to use those reasons to refuse to test is absurd and alarming.  In what way is being taken from your home and parents better than having a genetic test?  When I was at the hospital with Zeph, they had no problem with asking me to hold him down as he screamed while they did x-ray after x-ray.  And do you have any idea how much radiation is in a CAT scan?  Waaaaay too much.  But they didn’t seem concerned with bombarding my 5 week old infant with enough radiation to turn him into one of the X-Men.
   Children need to be protected.  Child abuse is an evil that needs to be watched for and stopped.  But there need to be rules.  There are too many casualties in this crusade to make it a righteous one.  When you don’t care about the civilians you hurt to get to the bad guys, there is something very wrong with you.
   Thank you all so much for reading and sharing.  I want so badly to protest on the grass of every children’s hospital, to bang on the office door of every politician, to stand on the street corner yelling for anyone who has been hurt by CPS to come stand with me.  But you have to start somewhere, and this blog is my start.  I wasn’t planning on writing anymore; but the number of views I’ve gotten has been humbling and exciting.  Maybe I can spread the word.  Maybe I can save other families.  As long as people keep reading, I will keep writing.  There are so many parents hurting right now, not being allowed to hold their babies, going to sleep in empty homes, waking up to a lonely silence.  This is the side that no one sees, the side that maybe I can bring to light.
   If you’re interested in knowing more about the family in Oklahoma, here’s the Facebook page they set up in order to try and go public.  https://www.facebook.com/PleaseGiveMeMyBabiesBack

   Change has to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment